Thursday, December 9, 2010

Notebook Quizzes

I have started giving my students notebook quizzes every week.  After the first month of school I noticed that some of my students have very poor organizational skills and this results in them losing many papers, mislabeling them, or putting them in sections with other subject material.  I think that if a student has an organized binder, they have the ability to better in class.
It is essential for students to have ALL of the notes sheets that have been given out for each unit.

My notebook quizzes are given every Friday and serve as the days "Do Now" assignment.  If the students have all of the notes sheets that have been handed out and they are correctly dated, they will get a 100% every time.

FOr example, my most recent notebook quiz was:
1. What was the mastery objective on 11/15?
2. What was the do now on 11/22?
3. What was the homework assignment on 11/29?
4. What was the second question on the notes sheet from 12/1?
5. Is your binder organized?

I have seen a definite improvement in the binders of most of my students.  I told them that I will continue giving them notebook quizzes every week until every student in the class has received a 100%!

No comments:

Post a Comment