Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Art Design Contest

I have noticed that many of my students are extremely artistic and I have been trying to find ways to motivate them to show their artistic abilities in the classroom.  Unfortunately, I do not always have that many options available to me in the science classroom.

I had mentioned to my students in the beginning of the year that I would love for them to make me drawings that I could hang around the classroom (science related of course!)

One of my students drew an adorable picture of The Earth when we started "The Dynamic Earth" unit and I told her that I am going to use the drawing as the first page of their exam.  This made her extremely happy! I am testing the students tomorrow with her drawing on the front of it and I think that they are all going to like it!

I have decided to turn this incident into an art contest!  I told each class that students can submit artwork that pertains to the current unit of study that they think would be appropriate for the first page of their next exam.  I will look at all of the submissions and determine a winner for each class.  The winner will receive a few extra bonus points on the next exam.  I think that this will increase their motivation and allow them to showcase their artistic abilities.  I am excited about this new idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment